Latest Huffingtonpost UK Headline News Today
- 2 days UK Weather Forecast: Warnings As Fog Threatens Travel Chaos HuffingtonpostWeather warnings were in place on Friday morning after dense fog cloaked parts of southern England.A chilly start for many carried the risk of potentially troublesome patches of fog as temperatures dipped as low as -3.3C (26F) overnight.Thermometers were expected to bounce back into double figures across the board with highs of up to 16C (61F).There is the risk of some travel disruption across a swathe of southern England on Friday morning due to patches of dense fog.The Met Office has issued a yellow warning for fog stretching from Cornwall to London ... more
- 2 days Dubai Airport Drones: Delays Confirmed After Suspected Activity HuffingtonpostFlights at Dubai International Airport were delayed on Friday morning due to suspected drone activity, a spokesperson said.The suspension lasted from 1013 am local time – 0613 GMT – to 1045 am.Dubai airport, the hub for airlines Emirates and flydubai, is the world’s busiest airport for international travellers, serving 81.4 million passengers in the first 11 months of 2018.The issue of drones impacting commercial air traffic has taken on new urgency after reports of sightings around airports in Britain and the United States.In January, flights from London’s Heathrow airport were halted for ... more
- 2 days UK’s Biggest Cache Of Witches’ Marks ‘To Prevent Evil Spirits Rising From The Underworld’ Discovered HuffingtonpostHundreds of “witches’ marks” to prevent evil spirits rising from the underworld have been discovered in caves at a limestone gorge.The finds, carved on walls and ceilings of the caves at Creswell Crags on the border between Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, is thought to be the largest collection of its kind in one place in the UK.The discovery was made by Hayley Clark and Ed Waters, from the Subterranea Britannica group, during a cave tour when they noticed the rare protection marks on the walls.The marks were previously thought to have been graffiti from the time before the caves were shut ... more
- 2 days 5 Stylish Tote Bags To Carry All Your Stuff In HuffingtonpostSometimes a handbag just isn’t enough for all that stuff. From notebooks and pencils to books, makeup bags and laptops – if your handbags are anything like ours, they’ll be bursting at the seems. But a cotton tote bag can be a great lightweight addition to help you cart around your possessions. Or you can keep it folded in your regular handbag to use to carry any excess food and clothes shopping, too.We’ve scoured the internet for the best and most affordable designs. Frida Kahlo Portrait Illustration Tote Bag, Not On The High Street, £8Printed on unbleached cotton, this bag featuring legendary ... more
- 2 days How Not To Kill Your Houseplants: An Expert Guide For Green-Fingered Enthusiasts HuffingtonpostPlants are on trend, and it’s little wonder considering they brighten up our homes, add a sense of style and even purify our air. For those among us who don’t have a garden, houseplants are also an affordable way to bring a bit of the outdoors, indoors.They’re supposedly easy to take care of – but you’re not alone if you’ve killed off your collection. So if you’re a houseplant enthusiast with a history of accidental planticide, we’ve got your back: we asked the experts for tips on how to keep them alive and well. Thank us later.[Read More: These are the ... more
- 2 days 5 Cute Animals To End The Week: Penguins Wed And Cats Cuddle In Our Ode To Love HuffingtonpostThis week we’re in the mood for love – probably as a result of the gazillion Valentine’s Day articles we’ve published. So it only seems fitting that we devote animals of the week (#AOTW) to that four-letter word... 1. Penguins Get Hitched.The story of the week, maybe even the month, is that of inseparable penguin duo Pringle and Ferrari who not only got married but also had the most wonderful wedding ceremony in the Cotswolds. Flippin’ great, that’s what I say.2. Cat And Dog Put Their Differences Aside.They might be different species, but ... more
- 2 days 10 Things To See And Do In Lille: Instagram Inspo For A French City Break HuffingtonpostThe compact French city of Lille is perfect for a short break, with most of the key attractions within walking distance to one another.The city is in northern France on the border of Belgium, meaning you’ll spot many Flemish influences throughout your stay, from the food to the architecture.For those planning a trip, I asked Chris Blume from TripExpert.com for his top tips, plus threw in some of my own from my holiday to Lille last summer.
1. Potter around the old town (Vieux Lille)
View this post on InstagramA post shared by Supreme Store (@supremestorelille) on Jan 20, 2019 at 2:12am PSTA slow-paced walk on the cobbled streets of Lille’s old town is the best place to start your trip, says Blume, and I couldn’t agree ... more
- 2 days Why Women Might Feel Pain During Sex – And What To Do About It HuffingtonpostUncomfortable sex isn’t something we talk about regularly because, well, it’s just not a sexy topic. But a recent study of more than 8,000 women in the UK found one in 10 of us is experiencing painful sex – otherwise known as dyspareunia (also not sexy, medical naming people). The study, published in the Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, showed pain and discomfort is taking the fun out of sex for many women: 30.9% of women who experienced painful intercourse were dissatisfied with their sex life, compared to just 10.1% of women who didn’t report painful sex. So isn’t it about time ... more
- 2 days Men Are Reaching Burnout – Is Self-Care The Solution? HuffingtonpostWhen I ask my partner, a 32-year-old man who works in sales, what he does for self-care he doesn’t have a clue what I’m talking about. He’s not the only one.Zak Edwards, 45, is the managing director of an online gift store. “I’ve never heard of it before,” he tells me in an email, before we discover Edwards has quite the extensive self-care routine. “I play lots of sport, go to the gym, play in a band and like activity holidays. But then I also work at relaxing. I meditate daily, read a lot and I’m learning to play the ... more
- 2 days Fury As Nurses Offered Private Healthcare Perk To Become DWP Benefits Assessors HuffingtonpostA major government contractor which conducts disability assessments on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions is trying to recruit NHS nurses and offering perks including private medical care and company cars.Independent Assessment Services, owned by French services giant Atos, highlighted the benefits in a jobs listing for the role of a mobile Personal Independence Payment (PIP) assessor, which was aimed at health service workers.Among the perks for the south of England job were “private medical insurance” and a “premium, low-emission company car”.“No nights, weekends or bank holidays,” it read.One ad, posted last month to a jobs website, said ... more
- 2 days Missed The Valentine’s Day Brexit Massacre? Here’s Everything You Need To Know HuffingtonpostAhh, Valentine’s Day. A day for roses, champagne and, because it’s 2019 and Brexit dominates everything, a humiliating defeat for Theresa May in the House of Commons. (Though if you’re Jeremy Corbyn, it might have been the exact present you were hoping for this February 14). But what were MPs even voting on? Wasn’t there just a load of votes about Brexit about couple of weeks ago? Never fear. If you were too busy wining and dining your beloved (or watching Bridget Jones alone in your pyjamas) to keep up with every minuscule update in Westminster, we’ve got your back. ... more
- 2 days Labour Activist Suspended For Anti-Semitism After Liverpool MP Louise Ellman Demands Tougher Action HuffingtonpostA Labour activist who posted graphic anti-Semitic imagery from a white supremacist US website has been suspended from the party and barred from its candidates list, HuffPost UK can reveal. The action was taken against Kayla Bibby this week after Liverpool Riverside’s Jewish MP Louise Ellman complained that her case had not been dealt with strongly enough.Bibby, who was a delegate at the party conference in Liverpool in September, has been suspended after further evidence came to light of her conduct.The 33-year-old was first investigated last year after she posted on Facebook in March an image of the Statue of Liberty ... more
- 2 days Donald Trump To Declare National Emergency To Get Border Wall Built, White House Says HuffingtonpostPresident Donald Trump is expected to both sign a spending bill and declare a national emergency to secure funding for his long-promised wall along the US-Mexico border, the White House announced on Thursday.The move would attempt to bypass congressional approval to spend billions of dollars on the border wall, which he originally vowed Mexico would pay to build.“President Trump will sign the government funding bill, and as he has stated before, he will also take other executive action ― including a national emergency ― to ensure we stop the national security ... more
- 2 days Caroline Flint Says MPs’ Attempt To Block No Deal Is A ‘Trojan Horse’ To Stop Brexit HuffingtonpostA cross-party attempt to take control of Brexit and rule out no deal is a “Trojan horse” for stopping Britain’s exit from the EU, a senior Labour MP has said.Caroline Flint said the Yvette Cooper-led move could open the door to “game playing” by politicians who want to overturn the 2016 referendum result, and criticised the Labour leadership’s “high handed” decision to back it in the February 27 ‘high noon’ Brexit votes without consulting MPs.Appearing on HuffPost UK’s Commons People podcast, Flint said the so-called “Cooper 2” amendment was “even worse” than her ... more
- 2 days Labour MPs Defy Jeremy Corbyn To Back SNP Attempt To Delay Brexit HuffingtonpostRebel Labour and Tory MPs defied their party leaders and joined an SNP-led attempt to delay Brexit. Jeremy Corbyn had whipped his MPs to abstain on an amendment to Theresa May’s plan B Brexit deal, tabled by their Scottish rivals, to extend the Article 50 deadline by a maximum of three months.MPs rejected the amendment by 93 to 315 but the news is further proof of deep party splits over Brexit. A total of 41 Labour MPs, including well-known ‘Remainers’ Chuka Umunna, Luciana Berger and Stella Creasy, ignored party chiefs to join the SNP ... more
- 2 days Myleene Klass Announces She’s Pregnant With Third Child HuffingtonpostMyleene Klass has revealed she is pregnant with her third child.The musician and broadcaster, 40, shared a picture of herself wearing underwear as she cradled her bare baby bump. Alongside the image, posted on Twitter and Instagram, she wrote no caption but posted a single heart emoji.
❤️ pic.twitter.com/DPuVWf7aUa— Myleene Klass (@KlassMyleene) February 14, 2019Klass, who is in a relationship with PR boss Simon Motson, has two daughters, Ava, 11, and seven-year-old Hero, from her previous marriage to Graham Quinn.Her famous friends congratulated her, with Spice Girl Emma Bunton commenting on Instagram: “Such wonderful news! So happy for you all.”Presenter ... more
- 2 days I Know First-Hand FGM Is One Of The Worst Forms Of Abuse – But Survivors Shouldn’t Need Our Own Bill To Be Protected HuffingtonpostFemale genital mutilation (FGM) is one of the worst forms of child abuse, and it does not occur in isolation. It is a practice which has its roots in patriarchal misogyny, which denies women and girls rights to their bodies and their sexuality.Imagine a little girl. She’s pinned down by those she trusted the most with cloth stuffed in her mouth and her legs spread apart. A very sharp blade is taken to her genitalia, removing all her labia and clitoris. They close her vagina, leaving her with a small hole from where she is expected to menstruate, have intercourse ... more
- 2 days Theresa May Suffers Fresh Brexit Humiliation After Hardline Tory Eurosceptics Trigger Commons Defeat HuffingtonpostTheresa May has suffered a fresh humiliation over Brexit after her eurosceptic MPs helped Labour to inflict a new parliamentary defeat on the government.Just 43 days from the UK’s planned exit from the EU, the Prime Minister saw her authority yet again undermined by her own party as the Commons voted by 303 to 258 against her deal.Just 243 Tories backed May, with nearly a quarter of her MPs deciding to pull their support. Five Tories voted against and 67 abstained.May had hoped to show Brussels she had a “stable” majority for ... more
- 2 days Protesters Wear Blindfolds Ahead Of Brexit Vote Huffingtonpost
- 2 days Bethnal Green Teen Who Fled To Syria Wants To Come Home Huffingtonpost
- 2 days Michael Gove’s Own Daughter To Skip School In Youth Climate Change Protest HuffingtonpostEnvironment secretary Michael Gove’s own daughter is among thousands of UK children set to skip school on Friday in a global protest about the effects of climate change, his wife has revealed. The students want the government to declare a “state of climate emergency”, calling on ministers to also improve education in schools about global warming. But writing in her column for the Daily Mail, Sarah Vine poured scorn on the strike, saying like “99.9%” of those taking part, her daughter saw it as an opportunity to bunk off. “They see it less as a political protest than as an excellent ... more
- 2 days Prince Harry Crawls Into An Igloo In Norway Huffingtonpost
- 2 days Secret No-Deal Brexit Papers To Be Published As Government Caves To Pressure From MPs HuffingtonpostThe government has offered to publish its most recent internal assessment of the impact on business and trade of a no-deal Brexit, in the face of a possible Commons defeat.Ministers are said to have seen the documents prepared by the civil service, but they have not been made public.MPs were set to vote on forcing the government to release the papers on Thursday afternoon.Pro-EU Tory MP Anna Soubry, who had tabled the amendment, said if the government did not publish the impact assessments as promised she would once again try to force ... more
- 2 days Prince William Jokes About Haircuts At ‘Mental Health Barbers’ Huffingtonpost
- 2 days Contaminated Blood Inquiry Chairman Blasts NHS England Amid Document Confusion HuffingtonpostA retired high court judge leading the infected blood inquiry has been highly critical of NHS England for not following his request over the retention of documents relating to the scandal. HuffPost UK reported how campaigner Jason Evans, whose father died in 1993 after getting hepatitis and HIV through contaminated blood, discovered how around 950 files were checked out by government staff and went missing with 45 still unaccounted for.Now Sir Brian Langstaff, chairman of the Infected Blood Inquiry, has revealed that last July he wrote to the relevant heads of the NHS ... more
- 2 days Climate Change Strike: What Parents Need To Know About Why Kids Are Skipping School HuffingtonpostThousands of students across the world are skipping school this Friday, 15 February, to protest the effects of climate change. Students in 40 cities and towns across the UK will join those in the US, Australia, The Netherlands and Uganda to call for greater government action on global warming, inspired by young Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg, 16.Demonstrations are expected to take place in London, Bristol, Cornwall and the Scottish Highlands, and have been organised by groups YouthStrike4Climate, the UK Student Climate Network, and the UK Youth Climate Coalition.“We’re running out of time for meaningful change, and that’s why we’re seeing young ... more
- 2 days Killing Eve Series 2 Trailer Debuts, And Villanelle Is Back To Her Murderous Ways HuffingtonpostKilling Eve fans have been gifted an extra special Valentine’s gift in the form of the first trailer for the show’s second series. The chilling one-minute preview reveals that – surprise – Villanelle (Jodie Comer) survived the stabbing at the hands of Eve during the final episode of series one. In the opening moments of the trailer, we see Eve (Sandra Oh) on the phone confessing to her murder, in front of a somewhat shocked couple who are awkwardly mid-proposal.Meanwhile, Villanelle has discharged herself from hospital and is intent on picking up exactly where she left off with her murderous ways. At one ... more
- 2 days The Blue Brexit Monster Is Here To Soothe Nervous Dutch Businesses Huffingtonpost
- 2 days The UK Is Hotter Than California, In This Week’s Most Surprising News HuffingtonpostWeather in the UK is set to be hotter than California this weekend in an unexpected turn of events for February.Britain can look forward to unusually high temperatures and clear skies, while the Golden State is hit by severe storms.A Met Office spokesperson told HuffPost UK the 14C temperatures seen across the UK on Valentines Day were “unusual”.“Pretty much across the country we’re seeing nice weather being brought to us by high pressure and southerly winds from the Mediterranean and southern Spain,” he added.High temperatures are set to stay on Saturday and Sunday, but forecasters warn the sun is likely ... more
- 2 days RuPaul’s Drag Race UK Confirms Alan Carr And Graham Norton As Judges HuffingtonpostRuPaul has announced some sickening news regarding the upcoming UK version of Drag Race. Our very own Graham Norton and Alan Carr are officially joining the show as judges. Hurrah!The chat show hosts will be sitting alongside Mama Ru and her faithful sidekick Michelle Visage when the series arrives on our shores later this year. Posting a video on Twitter, Graham said: “I’ve been a fan of RuPaul’s Drag Race forever and I was a judge once and now I’m so excited to be part of Drag Race UK.“Who knows, maybe this will be what the UK is good at?’ Here’s hoping, Graham, here’s ... more
- 2 days MasterChef Contestant Horrifies Judges By Serving Up Raw Chicken HuffingtonpostIf you’re going to enter MasterChef, the one thing you have to absolutely make sure you can do is cook meat properly. However, clearly one contestant from Wednesday night’s show did not get that memo. Judges John Torode and Gregg Wallace were left horrified after cook Ottilie presented them with her dish of chicken thighs with a sweet potato, white bean, and chorizo stew, saffron rice, and asparagus with smoked garlic butter. While on paper, that all sounded pretty tasty, they were forced to give it a wide berth after cutting into said chicken thighs. “I can’t eat that,” John said as he stuck ... more
- 2 days The Government’s New Integration Strategy Is To Be Welcomed – But As Always The Devil Is In The Detail HuffingtonpostThe Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government has just launched its Integrated Communities Action Plan. It lays out the work that this Government will undertake to support the confidence and integration of communities.There are some well thought out thematic headings, from strengthening the leadership of locally elected members through to faith leaders. The plan also looks to support new migrants and local residents through education and by boosting access to English language courses and in inculcating the rights and freedoms available in our country.As someone who has worked for many years within integration-based projects, the plan covers key areas ... more
- 2 days Third Skripal Suspect ‘Identified’ By Online Investigative Group Bellingcat HuffingtonpostThe true identity of a third suspect in the poisoning of Sergei Skripal in Salisbury has been discovered, an investigative website has claimed.Bellingcat has claimed a man previously only known as Sergei Fedotov, is actually called Denis Sergeev and has confirmation he worked for Russia’s GRU military intelligence service.The group claims Russia has attempted to erase all trace of him from official records.Last October, Russian news website Fontanka named Fedotov, who it said worked for the country’s GRU military intelligence service, as the third suspect in the Skripal case.Former double agent Skripal and his daughter Yulia were found slumped on ... more
- 2 days The Inexpensive Amazon Find You Need To Get Your Feet Sandals-Ready HuffingtonpostHere’s a dry skin hack you might find a-peeling.Though many of us are still lacing up our snow boots for work, we’ve got our eyes on the prize — aka our spring wardrobes. They’re full of comfortable top-rated sandals, modern slingbacks and other toeless and backless shoes that’ll allow our stuffy winter feet to breathe, something we could all use.But — real talk — if your dry winter feet look more reptilian than human when you finally pack away your snow boots for the season, there’s a quick way to make your feet soft once again, and Amazon reviewers swear ... more
- 2 days HMRC Apologises To Homeless Man Fined £1,600 For Tax Late Return HuffingtonpostHMRC has apologised for fining a homeless man for failing to complete his tax return on time.Krzysztof Pokorowski, a self-employed electrician, was hit with penalties totalling £1,600 for failing to file his 2014-15 tax return by the due date. Reminders were sent to his last known address – but by the time the letters arrived, he was sleeping rough.The department’s decision was described as a “scandal” by a tribunal judge at a hearing in December, who found that Pokorowski should not be penalised for missing the deadline and called for a ruling review.Judge Nicholas Aleksander, who heard the case, said: “HMRC’s ... more
- 2 days What It’s Like To Lose Your Community Hospital: Health Chiefs Under Fire As A&E Waiting Times At Record High HuffingtonpostHealth chiefs have come under fire for closing community hospital beds across the country as new figures show more patients that ever before are having to wait for more than four hours at overstretched A&Es.Nearly a third of England’s 340 community hospitals have seen beds closed in the past 10 years, according to recent research by the University of Birmingham.The loss of these valued health services is placing extra pressure on larger acute hospitals and leaving communities, particularly in rural areas, struggling to access emergency and routine healthcare, HuffPost UK has been told.The criticism comes as new NHS England figures ... more
- 2 days Six-Year-Old Alesha MacPhail Murdered On The Isle Of Bute Was Smothered, Court Told HuffingtonpostA six-year-old girl schoolgirl who was raped and murdered was smothered to death, a jury has been told.A 16-year old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, denies abducting Alesha MacPhail from the home her grandparents shared with her dad on the Isle of Bute, sexually assaulting and killing her and attempting to hide evidence.Her body was found in a wooded area on the island on July 2 last year.Pathologist John Williams told a trial at the High Court in Glasgow he carried out a post-mortem examination of her body and the cause of death was “pressure to the ... more
- 2 days X Factor: 12 Acts Who Should Face The Music On The Rumoured Celebrity Revamp HuffingtonpostFor years now, we’ve watched on as The X Factor has been shedding viewers and slowly losing its relevancy in today’s pop culture landscape. True to form, though, Simon Cowell has a plan up his sleeve to (hopefully) change all of that. Enter: the celebrities. It has been reported Simon is ditching the usual bunch of talent show hopefuls in favour of famous faces this year, bringing back the Battle Of The Stars format, which previously aired as a one-off series back in 2006. According to the major tabloids, this year’s auditions have been cancelled, and instead we will watch a celebrity line-up murder ... more
- 2 days Krush The Police Dog Is On A Mission To Steal Criminals’ Hearts Huffingtonpost
- 2 days This Badass Group Of Clergywomen Called Out A Cruise Ship DJ For Playing R. Kelly HuffingtonpostWhat connects a Scottish church, a cruise ship company and shamed musician R Kelly, you may ask – not unreasonably.The answer lies with the Reverend Teri Peterson, from St John’s Church in Gourock in Inverclyde, who has lodged a grievance against Carnival Cruise Line after returning from an eight-day trip.The clergywoman lambasted cruise line staff after a row over the playing of R Kelly’s music in the nightclub of the Carnival Magic cruise liner, which set sail from Miami.Several members of the “RevGalBlogPals” – an international online community that supports female clergy members and of which Peterson is chair – ... more
- 2 days The Dutch Have A Massive Blue Brexit Monster Because… Oh We Don’t Even Know Anymore HuffingtonpostWhat’s blue, furry, massive and wears a Brexit t-shirt?Yeah, we have no idea either but there’s one on the desk of the Dutch foreign minister and he doesn’t seem too happy about it.The specimen appears to be advertising the country’s Brexit resilience website for businesses, and politician Stef Blok is warning: “Do not let Brexit get in your way ... or lie down.”
Heb jij al gecheckt welke gevolgen Brexit voor jou of je bedrijf heeft? Doe de Brexit Impact Scan op https://t.co/eytAlAwphK of kijk op https://t.co/U64nYectmE. Zorg dat Brexit jou niet in de weg zit....of ligt. pic.twitter.com/LWKOLnLPQl— Stef Blok ... more
- 2 days People Magazine’s Most Stylish Stars Revealed Huffingtonpost
- 2 days 5 Ways To Give Your Kitchen A Plastic-Free Makeover HuffingtonpostOne place that you likely go though enough plastic to make David Attenborough wince is your kitchen. From food packaging to bottles of washing up liquid, there’s plenty to plough through - even if your home is on the smaller side and you’re living alone or with one other person.Jen Gale, a sustainable living specialist, says: “Plastic has become so ubiquitous that we tend not to even notice it anymore. It’s everywhere - from the moment we step out of bed into our slippers, to the bottles of shampoo and conditioner in the shower, to the milk we put in our ... more
- 2 days I’m Lucky Enough To Be Able To Buy My Own Home – So Why Do I Feel So Apprehensive? HuffingtonpostTwo things dawned on me in quick succession after I completed on my first flat (‘completion’ being jargon for the date on which the property you’ve been agonising over for months finally becomes yours). The first was that it’s entirely feasible to spend more time deliberating over a pair of shoes than it is the place you’ll call home for the next while. The second was that my new abode, which had seemed so retro and iconic as a first-time buyer, was actually in a state of repair that was both horribly dated and going to cost me a fortune ... more
- 2 days 5 Small Space Tricks That’ll Open Up Your New Home HuffingtonpostIf you’re set to move into a new home soon - and are knocking about the millennial age bracket - space is likely at a premium. Sure, city centre flats are notoriously pokey. But houses in less urban locations are dwindling in square feet, too: recent research, by LABC Warranty, found that the living rooms of modern homes are almost a third smaller than houses and apartments built in the 1970s.From the Tiny House movement to “micro-homes”, people all over the world are trying to find solutions to the lack of living space. Radical solutions are interesting, however you can ... more
- 2 days Dancing On Ice: Sylvain Longchambon Explains Why Jane Danson Fainted HuffingtonpostJane Danson’s Dancing On Ice partner Sylvain Longchambon has spoken about her recent fainting incident, suggesting she hadn’t been looking after herself properly in the lead-up.Earlier this month, Sylvain and Jane made headlines when they went ahead with a performance just hours after the Coronation Street star collapsed on the ice during dress rehearsals.He told The Sun: “She’s not been eating enough for the last couple of weeks. She’s been very busy at Corrie and training on the ice every day.“We’ve often been training between 12pm and 3.30pm, which is when you would have your lunch.”Sylvain added: “I know she’s ... more
- 2 days Would You Buy A House With Your Best Friend? Here’s The Inside Track On The Unconventional Approach HuffingtonpostIn a housing market gone crazy, couples have an advantage. The pooling of resources with the person who knows you best (and loves you anyway) automatically boosts you a few rungs higher up the property ladder. It also means you have someone to share the legwork with—finding a place you like and can actually afford may be easier said than done. Nearly three quarters of first-time buyers are ’couple households’, in the conventional sense, and this is a figure that’s set to rise. It follows that savvy would-be homeowners and those looking to upsize their ‘starter homes’ are looking at ... more
- 2 days Zofija Kaczan Death: ‘Petty Criminal’ Sentenced To 15 Years In Prison For Killing 100-Year-Old Nazi Death Camp Survivor HuffingtonpostA self-confessed heroin addict has been sentenced to 15 years in prison for killing a frail 100-year-old Holocaust survivor while attempting to steal her purse.Kaczan was born in Poland and survived the Holocaust after being interned in a concentration camp during the Second World War.The attack left her with multiple injuries, including a fractured neck and cheekbone.She died from pneumonia as a result of the attack on 6 June.It took a jury two hours at Derby Crown Court found to find Waszkiewicz guilty on Wednesday.Waszkiewicz attacked her because she was an “easy target”, and needed £20 to buy heroin later that day.His aggression ripped the handle off the handbag ... more
Zofija Kaczan was on her way to church when Artur Waszkiewicz took her handbag and knocked her to the floor, leaving her bleeding in the middle of the road on May 28 last year.
At Waszkiewicz’s sentencing hearing on Thursday, Judge Nicholas Dean described him as a “petty criminal” and a “coward” adding: “What he did was dangerous. What he did led to awful, awful consequences.
“Mr Waszkiewicz did not simply rob Ms Kaczan of her handbag, he robbed her of her life.
He added: “There is tragic irony in the fact that Mrs Kaczan had survived the unimaginable horror of a Nazi concentration camp and slave labour, as well as imminent execution – only to meet her end because of the cowardly and sordid actions of a petty criminal and drug addict on the streets of Derby.
Leading the defence, David Nathan QC said: “I would respectfully submit he is not a monster.”
“No doubt over the last few months in custody he will have realised what he has thrown away.”
Kaczan’s carer Angelika Cybulska said in a statement that she had planned to go on one final holiday with the 100-year-old.
The statement, read out in court, said: “Now she has gone it has taken a massive part of my heart away and I miss her daily.
“I am so distraught she had to die in this way.”
Derby Crown Court was told heroin addict Waszkiewicz had 24 previous convictions for 51 offences, including one violent offence of battery in 2014.
- 2 days Cholesterol And Heart Age Tests: You Should Check Your Heart Health From Age 30 HuffingtonpostYou may assume you should only start checking up on your heart health in your fifties, but new public health guidelines are urging people to keep tabs on your ticker much earlier in life. People over 40 have been told to memorise their cholesterol numbers “like they know their bank pin code”, while those aged 30 and above have been reminded they should also be monitoring heart health.Young adults can use a free online tool to check their risk of having a heart attack or stroke. Developed by experts, The Heart Age Test asks people aged 30 or over to answer a series of questions about their lifestyle and physical health.
If the tool estimates that an individual’s “heart age” is higher than their actual age, they’ll be told they have an increased chance of having a heart attack or stroke – and then advised on how to cut this risk.
- 2 days Shamima Begum: How The Drama Of The British Schoolgirls Fleeing To Syria Unfolded HuffingtonpostNine months pregnant, two infant children who died and a husband in captivity – life in the “oppressive and corrupt” Islamic State caliphate quickly turned from utopia to nightmare for Shamima Begum.The east London schoolgirl who left Britain as a 15-year-old has been tracked down by The Times to a refugee camp in northern Syria.Now 19, all she wants is to “be able to come home and live quietly with my child”.Stating that “I don’t regret coming here,” she told The Times: “I’m not the same silly little 15-year-old schoolgirl who ran away ... more
- 3 days U Ok Hun? People Are Baffled By Fortnum & Mason’s Names For Its Chocolate Bars HuffingtonpostFortnum & Mason is renowned for its luxury food and spenny prices, but now the upmarket store is making a name for itself for a different reason – the names of its chocolate bars.One shopper, Alex Smith, was in the London store when he noticed the sweet treats had rather unusual descriptions, including ‘Pilots Fly In Pink Skies’, ‘Goodnight My Bittersweet Beloved’ and ‘The Obedience Of Bubbles The Dog’.[Read More: Ranking of Britain’s favourite chocolate bars produces shock result]
- 3 days Exeter Murders: Check On Your Elderly Neighbours, Urge Police After 3 OAPs Violently Killed HuffingtonpostDetectives are continuing to question a man held on suspicion of murder after three elderly men were violently killed in their homes just a mile apart.The bodies of twins Dick and Roger Carter, 84, and Anthony Payne, 80, were found less than 24 hours apart in Exeter, Devon.The deaths have been linked due to the “level of violence used”, according to Devon and Cornwall Police, who launched a triple murder inquiry.A 27-year-old man arrested on Tuesday remains in custody at Heavitree police station in Exeter, while investigators work to establish how the victims and the suspect may be connected. On Thursday ... more
- 3 days Nasa Declares End To Mars Opportunity Rover Mission Huffingtonpost
- 3 days ‘Frozen 2’ Is On Its Way – And Parents Are More Excited Than Their Kids HuffingtonpostLike any good parent, I’ve watched ‘Frozen’ at least 532 times. I’ve squeezed myself into a blue synthetic Elsa dress designed for 7-8 year olds, pretended the bedroom was an ice palace and fought my way out, and once came home to see my husband making dinner wearing a long blonde plait and tiara.I’ve turned the lights out in the living room, put the disco ball on and sung (or screeched) ‘Let It Go’ at ear-splitting volume. And I’ve done the same at karaoke with a bunch of friends on a Saturday night, too, when there weren’t even any kids ... more
- 3 days Spanish Minister Compares Catalonia Independence Referendum To Rape HuffingtonpostA Spanish foreign minister has compared the referendum on Catalonian independence to rape, as she called for long jail sentences the orchestrators of the vote.In an interview with Sky News on Wednesday Irene Lozano, who is the Secretary of State for Global Spain, said she regularly used the metaphor when comparing the difference between legal and illegal votes in democratic societies.She said: “Sex is not forbidden, like voting is not forbidden but you cannot do it forcefully, you have to have the permission to do it otherwise it’s rape, it is the same with democracy.”Astonished presenter Dominic Waghorn responded: “I’m sorry ... more
- 3 days Smoking Cannabis As A Teenager Could Increase Your Risk Of Depression As An Adult HuffingtonpostSmoking cannabis as a teenager could increase your risk of depression in adulthood by as much as 37%, new research suggests.The researchers, from the University of Oxford and McGill University in Canada, analysed data from 11 studies involving more than 23,000 people – and described it as the largest meta-analysis to date in this field.Up to 60,000 UK cases of adult depression could potentially be avoided if teenagers did not smoke cannabis, they said, warning parents not to be relaxed about the drug. They also warned cannabis was a “significant public health risk” and called for officials to make tackling use of ... more
- 3 days Prince Philip To Face No Further Action Over Car Crash HuffingtonpostThe Duke of Edinburgh will face no further action over the collision on the A149 near Sandringham last month, the Crown Prosecution Service said.Prince Philip, 97, voluntarily surrendered his driving licence following the crash which saw one woman break her wrist. Philip had apologised for his part in the accident on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk when his Land Rover Freelander collided with another car, leaving two women needing hospital treatment. Buckingham Palace said the Duke of Edinburgh “respects the decision” taken by the CPS. The crash occurred on 17 January when he pulled out into a busy A road and collided with ... more
- 3 days Police Still Hunting Killers Of Teen Murdered On Valentine’s Day 12 Years Ago HuffingtonpostTwelve years after teenager William ‘Billy’ Cox was shot dead in his home on Valentine’s Day, police have released a CCTV image in a fresh bid to trace potential witnesses who could help solve the case.Officers from the Metropolitan Police’s Trident Legacy Team, who are investigating the 15-year-old’s murder, hope the passing of time will enable someone to feel they can come forward with information.Cox left Brixton on 14 February, 2007 at about 2.30pm and made his way home to Clapham, before he was discovered by his 13-year-old sister heavily bleeding on his bedroom floor.Despite the best efforts of the ... more
- 3 days Women Have Been Asking Out Their Crushes For A Valentine’s Date – And Sharing The Results HuffingtonpostIt’s Valentine’s Day and you’ve found yourself single and lacking a bouquet of roses to drown your sorrows. So what does a modern millennial do? They find themselves a date.In what has become an annual tradition, blogger and podcaster Dami Olonisakin asks women to use 13 February to secure themselves a date for the big day (if they hadn’t already).She gets women to text their desired person with the message: “I’ve had a crush on you for some time. Would you like to go on a date with me this Valentine’s Day?”[Read More: Free date ideas for Valentine’s Day, because ... more
- 3 days Put Aside ‘Ideological Purity’ And Back Theresa May On Brexit, Liam Fox Tells Tory Rebels HuffingtonpostLiam Fox has warned Tory MPs they will undermine the prime minister’s negotiations with Brussels if they vote against the government on Thursday.Brexiteer Tories are threatening to rebel in a key vote this evening over a motion they claim would commit Theresa May taking a no-deal Brexit off the table.It asks MPs to reiterate their support for the approach agreed on January 29, when they backed an amendment authorising May to go back to Brussels to renegotiate the controversial Irish backstop.But members of the backbench European Research Group (ERG) say it effectively ... more
- 3 days Duchess Of Cambridge: I Was ‘Very Naive’ As A Parent Over Children’s Early Development HuffingtonpostThe Duchess of Cambridge has said she was “very naive” as a parent about the importance of a child’s early development for their future.She made the remark during a round table discussion at the Mental Health in Education conference on Wednesday 13 February, hosted by The Royal Foundation, at Mercers’ Hall, London.“I was very naive myself as a parent, of really just how important particularly the early years are for children’s futures,” she said. “And how critical it is, everyone looking after children at a critical time, teachers, parents, and everyone who’s ... more
- 3 days Singer Ryan Adams Accused Of Sexual Misconduct Huffingtonpost
- 3 days Lost Toy Elephant Given Bath And Blow Dry By Stranger – But Still Needs To Find Its Owner HuffingtonpostA man who found a lost toy in Vauxhall has gone the extra mile to reunite it with its owners. Imran Ahmed, who lives in London, found the baby elephant on the road and took it home to take care of it. And in a move that will make you go all gooey at the edges, he gave the soft toy the full pampering treatment - including a bath and ‘a very gentle blow dry’ - to make sure it was clean again before taking a photo and posting it on Twitter.
Pls RT: Elephant found on Black Prince Rd in Vauxhall. ... more
- 3 days Shamima Begum: The Times Investigating Possible Website Hack After Isis Exclusive HuffingtonpostThe Times is investigating the cause of widespread issues with its website, which occurred hours after it published an exclusive story about a teenage Isis bride who now wishes to return to Britain.A spokesperson for the newspaper told HuffPost UK that a hack could not be discounted after its website and app became inaccessible for several hours on Thursday morning. The website appeared to return to normal just after 10am.Shamima Begum, who travelled to the Islamic State’s Caliphate from east London in 2015, was tracked down by a Times reporter to a refugee camp in northern Syria where she is ... more
- 3 days A Heartless Burglar Used This Hat To Con Pensioner Out Of £2,500 HuffingtonpostA burglar who swindled thousands of pounds from a pensioner after using a crudely drawn hat to impersonate a police officer has been jailed for two years.Tracey Hayward, 36, drew the word “police” onto the cap in order to persuade her partially-sighted victim, June Kingsbury, 88, out of up to £2,500.Hayward came to Kingsbury’s home saying she was a police officer and pretended to dust for prints and “check equipment”, Bristol Crown Court heard.Carers from a home help agency later became suspicious when the pensioner told them about giving money to women visitors, so they set up hidden cameras.Kingsbury, who ... more
- 3 days Diet Fizzy Drinks Could ‘Increase Your Risk Of Stroke And Heart Disease’ HuffingtonpostOpting for a diet version of your favourite soft drink may seem like the healthiest option, but new research suggests it could increase your risk of stroke, heart disease and even early death.The large study, involving more than 80,000 women in the US, found that drinking two or more diet drinks a day – including fizzy drinks and fruit-based diet drinks – increased the risk of stroke by 23%.Compared with women who consumed diet drinks less than once a week or not at all, women who consumed two or more artificially-sweetened drinks per day were also 29% more likely to ... more
- 3 days Why The ‘DTR’ Conversation Is So Hard To Have In Modern Relationships HuffingtonpostDefining the relationship (or DTR, for short) is all but a rite of passage in modern-day dating, but up until recently, I’d somehow gotten through life without having to experience it.I spent the bulk of my 20s in a relationship. In college, my S.O. and I happily slid into a relationship, neither of us ever having to utter those three dreaded words: What. Are. We.Currently single, I find I’m still dodging the question. I don’t like to ask. The last almost-quasi-relationship I was in ― a situation-ship, if you will ― was lovely but ill-defined and maybe short-lived because of ... more
- 3 days Council Tax Rises Set For Almost All Of England As Austerity Bites HuffingtonpostNearly all local authorities in England are planning to raise council tax in the year ahead while vital services remain under pressure, a survey has found.The poll found that eight in 10 councils believe the current funding system is “unsustainable”, with more than half, 53%, planning to dip into their reserves.More than a quarter, 29%, said they were planning to cut spending on adult social care, with 24% expecting reductions in children’s care services, 16% in special education and disability support, and 11% in support for the homeless.The findings, from the Local Government Information Unit (LGiU) and the Municipal Journal, ... more
- 3 days Ariana Grande Recorded 3 Versions Of Thank U, Next In Case She Married Pete Davidson HuffingtonpostAriana Grande has revealed she recorded three different versions of her recent hit Thank U, Next, due to the ever-changing nature of her relationship with Pete Davidson.Last year, Ariana topped the charts on both sides of the Atlantic with her surprise release Thank U, Next, in which she reflected on the lessons her past boyfriends had taught her, including ex-fiancé Pete and her late ex-boyfriend Mac Miller.However, she’s now revealed that her romance with the Saturday Night Live comedian was so on-off towards the end of their relationship, she had to record ... more
- 3 days The Waugh Zone Thursday February 14, 2019 Huffingtonpost« Previous 1 2 3 4 … 18 Next »1. DUMB WAITERS Another day, another series of Commons Brexit votes. In many ways, it ought to be a non-event, given that all but one of the amendments are non-binding (Sarah Wollaston’s tries to tie May’s hands but lacks Labour support). The government’s approach to the Commons is to basically maintain a holding pattern while May tries to get a better deal in Brussels. This is a waiting game as the PM once more plays it long. Boring her opponents into submission, while keeping nervy Remainer ministers onside, is the plotline of Groundhog May.Indeed, the original plan was to make today ... more2017-05-27
- 2 days Dubai Airport Drones: Delays Confirmed After Suspected Activity Huffingtonpost