Latest Huffingtonpost UK Headline News Today
- 60 mins Coronavirus Catch Up: Government ‘Making It Up’ On Schools Reopening, Union Leader Claims HuffingtonpostGet the latest on coronavirus. Sign up to the Daily Brief for news, explainers, how-tos, opinion and more.The government is “making it up as it goes along” on the approach to reopening schools, and education union leader has sad a day before some pupils return to classes. The latest figures from the Department of Health and Social Care state that 38,376 people have now died in the UK after contracting Covid-19, and 272,826 people have tested positive. Here’s the latest. Government ‘making it up as it goes along’ on schools, says teaching unionThe government revised its plans to ... more
- 1 hour Dominic Raab Says Cities Could Be Locked Down As Scientists Warn Of ‘Great Risk’ HuffingtonpostCoronavirus has changed everything. Make sense of it all with the Waugh Zone, our evening politics briefing. Sign up now.
Dominic Raab has confirmed the government would reimpose lockdown measures on entire cities if there was a local surge in the spread of coronavirus.
The foreign secretary said on Sunday morning the UK “can’t just stay in lockdown forever” but the government would “absolutely” reimpose “targeted” restrictions.
From Monday, small groups of people will be able to meet and more than two million clinically extremely vulnerable people who have been shielding since March will finally be allowed to spend time with other people outdoors.But several leading scientists have warned lifting the lockdown too quickly risks the virus getting out of control again.Professor Peter Openshaw, who sits on the the New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (Nervtag) to the government, said people must proceed with “great caution”.Devi Sridhar, professor of global public health at Edinburgh University, said she feels is it “inevitable” that England will see a rise ... more
- 2 hours US HuffPost Reporter Arrested While Peacefully Covering NYC Anti-Racism Protest HuffingtonpostHuffPost US reporter Chris Mathias was taken into custody Saturday while covering anti-racism protests in New York City.Mathias, a senior reporter who covers the far right, disinformation and hate, had been reporting for days on the protests, prompted by the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis. He was in the Flatbush area of Brooklyn when police took him into custody.Mathias was released Sunday around 1am local time after being taken to the 72nd Precinct in the Sunset Park area of Brooklyn.Reporter Phoebe Leila Barghouty tweeted that she saw the NYPD “violently arresting” Mathias and others ... more
- 3 hours Lady Gaga Brands Donald Trump A ‘Racist Fool’ As She Shares Outrage Over George Floyd’s Death HuffingtonpostLady Gaga has branded Donald Trump a “racist fool” in a statement addressing the death of George Floyd and the protests that are currently sweeping America.A video of the unarmed 46-year-old Black man’s arrest on Monday showed him gasping for breath while a white police officer knelt on his neck before he died.Derek Chauvin, the police officer in question, has now been charged with murder following days of protests across the US, pitting protesters against police in a number of major cities.In a lengthy statement shared on Sunday morning, Lady Gaga called for change as ... more
- 3 hours Police Crackdowns Escalate As Protesters Across The US Demand Justice For George Floyd HuffingtonpostProtests prompted by the police killing of George Floyd popped up in even more cities across the US on Saturday as tens-of-thousands of people continued to demand justice for Black victims of police brutality, and in many cities they were met with increasingly heavy-handed police crackdowns.By late Saturday evening, at least 25 cities across 16 states had imposed curfews in response to the demonstrations, CNN reported.Swathes of people gathered on the streets of Austin, Texas; Chicago; Columbus, Ohio; Fayetteville, North Carolina; Indianapolis; Los Angeles; Miami, Florida; New York City; Newark, New Jersey; Philadelphia; Salt Lake City; San ... more
- 4 hours Thomas The Tank Engine Narrator Michael Angelis Dies, Aged 68 HuffingtonpostMichael Angelis, best known as the long-term narrator of Thomas The Tank Engine series Thomas & Friends, has died at the age of 76, his agent said.The actor died suddenly while at home with his wife on Saturday.Angelis lent his voice to the children’s TV programme for 13 series, taking over from Ringo Starr in 1991, when the programme was called Thomas The Tank Engine And Friends.He was best known to adult audiences for his role as Arnie in September Song, Martin Niarchos in GBH, Lucien Boswell in The Liver Birds and as Mickey Startup in Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.
RIP ... more
- 6 hours I Made A Community Bookswap With My Kids On Our Doorstep. Here’s Why (And How) HuffingtonpostWe’re here to guide you through the coronavirus lockdown. Sign up to the Life newsletter for daily tips, advice, how-tos and escapism.A few weeks ago, the kids and I took a trip to Pets at Home – and came back with a rabbit hutch. Sadly for the kids – and the family cat -–we didn’t actually bring home a pet rabbit. What we did come home with? An idea to make our very own community bookswap.It’s a bit like a tiny library... though, since tweeting about it here, I’ve learned that defining it as a “library” ... more
- 6 hours Lockdown Trapped Women With Their Abusers. Lifting It Could Kill Them HuffingtonpostGet the latest on coronavirus. Sign up to the Daily Brief for news, explainers, how-tos, opinion and more.“I feel guilty for not being stronger sooner. I’m exhausted and I just want a way out.”Nicola had reached the end of her patience with her boyfriend before the coronavirus lockdown began and had made preparations to leave him.But then the Covid-19 pandemic hit, and the lockdown restrictions forced her to change her plans.“I had prepared to leave my boyfriend and organised to go and stay with my mum.” she told HuffPost UK. “But then when the restriction ... more
- 6 hours These Parents Say Lockdown Has Been A Chance To Teach Their Kids Life Skills HuffingtonpostWe’re here to guide you through the coronavirus lockdown. Sign up to the Life newsletter for daily tips, advice, how-tos and escapism.Germaine Douglas’ son, Kairos, has decided he wants to become the UK prime minister when he grows up. One day during lockdown, the south London mum walked into the living room where her 12-year-old spends much of his time and asked why he had the TV on while studying. “I like to hear the news updates when I’m working,” came his response. “I don’t want to miss something important.”“I have never been able to get my children interested in the news ... more
- 6 hours The Best Instagram Recipes From May 2020 HuffingtonpostEvery month, the HuffPost Taste Instagram account gives us a good picture of the recipes our readers have been craving. This month in particular, it showed what might be going on in home kitchens during the coronavirus pandemic.Now that we’re into our third month of this new lifestyle, it seems the world’s baking obsession hasn’t slowed down a bit ― May’s 10 most-loved recipes include luscious fruit bars, molten mug cakes, peanut butter-stuffed brownies, Meyer lemon bars, cream cheese biscuit strawberry cobbler and an intense chocolate cake.There are a few savoury choices in the mix, as well, including a meaty recipe that’s perfect for grilling season ... more
- 6 hours We Found Out How To Make These Ridiculously Good-Looking Doughnuts HuffingtonpostWe’re here to guide you through the coronavirus lockdown. Sign up to the Life newsletter for daily tips, advice, how-tos and escapism.If there’s one thing the nation has united on in lockdown, it’s baking. Banana bread, mostly, but still. But if you’re looking to take your skills in the kitchen up a notch, have a go at these incredibly delicious-looking doughnuts.Bread Ahead, a bakery and baking school in London’s Borough Market, has shared its special recipe with HuffPost UK.After the success of the bakery’s live tutorials on Instagram, it’s now launched full baking courses online. Accessible globally, for just £25, those tuning ... more
- 14 hours People Shielding During Coronavirus Lockdown ‘Able To Spend Time Outside From Monday’ HuffingtonpostGet the latest on coronavirus. Sign up to the Daily Brief for news, explainers, how-tos, opinion and more.
Extremely vulnerable people in England who have been ‘shielding’ during the coronavirus lockdown will be able to spend time outside from Monday. This group – which includes 2.2 million people – will be able to go outside with members of their household, communities secretary Robert Jenrick will confirm on Sunday. Meanwhile, those who live on their own will be able to meet up with one other person outside. Social-distancing rules must be maintain during these outings, the government said. Boris Johnson thanked people who have been shielding, saying the “patience and sacrifice” of this group had saved “thousands of lives”. The PM said: “I do not underestimate just how difficult it has ... more
- 18 hours Deputy Chief Medical Officer Jonathan Van-Tam Says Rules ‘Apply To All’ Amid Dominic Cummings Row HuffingtonpostGet the latest on coronavirus. Sign up to the Daily Brief for news, explainers, how-tos, opinion and more.
England’s deputy chief medical officer Jonathan Van-Tam has given his view on the Dominic Cummings row, saying lockdown rules “apply to all”. Despite ministers insisted that he did not break any rules, the controversy around Cumming’s trip from London to Durham during lockdown – and a subsequent trip to Barnard Castle to “test his eyesight” – has rumbled on. Asked during the government’s coronavirus press conference on Saturday whether people in authority should “give a lead” and obey the rules “above all” amid questions about the PM’s chief adviser, Van-Tam said the rules “are clear”.
"In my opinion, the rules are clear and they have always been clear. In my opinion, ... more
- 19 hours US Erupts Into Nation-Wide Protests Over Killing Of George Floyd HuffingtonpostNationwide protests over the killing of George Floyd – the Black man who died on Monday after a white Minneapolis police officer knelt on his neck – continued on Friday evening as Americans demanded that those involved face justice. On Friday, protesters took to the streets in Minneapolis; Washington; Louisville, Kentucky; New York City; Atlanta; Denver; Houston; Portland; Phoenix; San Jose and Bakersfield, California; Chicago; Detroit; and other cities. After three nights of protests, Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey announced a mandatory curfew going into effect at 8pm. But in the hours before that, hundreds of protesters marched across the Hennepin ... more
- 19 hours Boris Johnson Must Learn Lessons From George Floyd’s Death HuffingtonpostGeorge Floyd was a 46-year-old Black man who died when arrested by four Minneapolis policemen, of whom at least one knelt on his neck. His tragic death has triggered a wave of protests across America, from the West Coast to the East. Not only were there protests in Minneapolis itself, but people took to the streets in New York, Portland, Kentucky, Washington, California and many communities beyond. As the mayor of Minneapolis himself said in the aftermath: “Being a Black man in America should not be a death sentence.” This is what millions of Americans ... more
- 19 hours Belly Mujinga: ‘No Evidence Of Anyone Spitting’ During Incident, Police Say HuffingtonpostPolice say they are taking no further action following the death of railway ticket officer Belly Mujinga because “there is no evidence of anyone spitting” in an incident at London’s Victoria Station ahead of her death. The 47-year-old died of Covid-19 on April 5. It was alleged that two weeks before this, she was spat on while at work by a man who claimed to have the virus. But in a statement, British Transport Police said: “We want to be clear on why we decided not to take any further action – based on key witness statements and having reviewed the CCTV footage, ... more
- 20 hours Elite Sport Can Resume Behind Closed Doors From Monday, Government Confirms HuffingtonpostCoronavirus has changed everything. Make sense of it all with the Waugh Zone, our evening politics briefing. Sign up now.Elite spot can resume behind closed doors in England from Monday, new government health and safety guidelines have confirmed. The rules form stage three of the process of bringing sport back from the coronavirus lockdown. Stage two, which allowed for close-contact training for elite athletes, was published last Monday.Horse racing is due to resume at Newcastle on Monday with the first major meeting, involving the 2000 Guineas Stakes at Newmarket, coming on June 6.Premier League football is scheduled to restart on June ... more
- 21 hours Unrest In America Huffingtonpost
- 22 hours Foodbank With 600 People Queuing Daily Has Supply Renewed After Council U-Turn HuffingtonpostGet the latest on coronavirus. Sign up to the Daily Brief for news, explainers, how-tos, opinion and more.A London food bank that has hundreds of desperate families queuing daily for rations was temporarily left to fend for itself after the local council stopped providing supplies.The Dad’s House food bank in Elephant and Castle, south London, says it has given out 32,000 meals since it began operating at the start of April - but Southwark Council pulled its support last week because it was helping vulnerable people who had not been referred directly by the local ... more
- 22 hours UK Records 183 More Coronavirus Deaths In 24 Hours, Bringing Total To 38,344 HuffingtonpostGet the latest on coronavirus. Sign up to the Daily Brief for news, explainers, how-tos, opinion and more. The number of people who have died across England, Scotland and Wales after contracting coronavirus has risen by 183 in 24 hours.The increase consists of 146 hospital patients in England, 22 people in Scotland, one person in Northern Ireland and 14 hospital patients and care home residents in Wales.So far, no UK-wide figures from the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) have been released, so the total is taken from each nation’s individual reporting.It brings the working total to 38,344.But the government ... more
- 1 day Restaurant Owner Shows Solidarity With US Protesters: ‘Let My Building Burn’ HuffingtonpostA restaurant owner in Minneapolis whose building was damaged during protests has added his voice to the chorus of activists seeking justice after police killed a Black man by kneeling on his neck.Gandhi Mahal, an Indian and Bangladeshi restaurant located about a block from the Minneapolis Third Police Precinct, was one of several businesses damaged by fire during protests over the killing of George Floyd, who died Monday.Gandhi Mahal’s owner Ruhel Islam declared his solidarity with the protesters, his daughter Hafsa wrote in a Facebook post about the damage to the restaurant. “Let my building burn,” ... more
- 1 day Ian Hislop’s ‘Virtuoso’ Roasting Of Dominic Cummings On Have I Got News For You Was So Lacerating Even Piers Morgan Liked It HuffingtonpostHave I Got News For You viewers and a number of celebrity fans have praised Ian Hislop’s roasting of Dominic Cummings on this week’s show.Friday’s episode of the current affairs-based comedy quiz show included a monologue from the journalist and broadcaster about Boris Johnson’s chief advisor and his rather loose interpretation of lockdown rules.
Ian Hislop bang on point here and crucifying Dominic Cummings pic.twitter.com/IEKh6KqjQ9— Brian Maguire (@brianjmaguire) May 30, 2020
- 1 day Police Officer Fires Pepper Pellets At Journalist During Live Protest Broadcast HuffingtonpostA Kentucky police officer was filmed calmly shooting pepper pellets at a TV news reporter in the middle of a live broadcast in Louisville on Friday night as protests erupted over recent killings during police actions there and in Minneapolis.Reporter Kaitlin Rust’s camera operator filmed the officer aiming straight at both of them during a report on WAVE 3 News. Rust began screaming: “I’m getting shot! Rubber bullets! Rubber bullets!”“Katie, are you okay?” asked the news anchor back at the station. “It’s okay, it’s okay. It’s those pepper bullets,” Rust responded. Pepper balls contain chemicals similar to pepper spray and are shot in pellets. ... more
- 1 day Coronavirus Catch Up: Scientists Warn Virus Spreading ‘Too Fast’ To Lift Lockdown HuffingtonpostGet the latest on coronavirus. Sign up to the Daily Brief for news, explainers, how-tos, opinion and more.Leading scientists advising the government on lockdown strategy have warned that the virus is spreading “too fast” to lift restrictions, days before strict rules start to ease. According to the most recent data published by the Department of Health and Social Care, 38,161 people have now died in the UK after contracting coronavirus and more than 270,000 people have tested positive. Here’s the latest. Scientists say virus spreading ‘too fast’ to lift lockdownGovernment advisers have warned that the easing of lockdown ... more
- 1 day Forbes Remove Kylie Jenner From Billionaire List After Accusing Her Of Inflating Value Of Cosmetics Business HuffingtonpostForbes has removed Kylie Jenner from its list of billionaires and accused the reality star of inflating the value of her cosmetics business.The magazine published an article based on an examination of financial filings after the beauty mogul sold a majority share in her cosmetics company.She sold 51% of her Kylie Cosmetics company to Coty in a deal valued at 1.2 billion dollars (£1 billion) early this year.The article said: “Kylie’s business is significantly smaller, and less profitable, than the family has spent years leading the cosmetics industry and media outlets, including Forbes, to believe.“Forbes ... more
- 1 day Taylor Swift Accuses Donald Trump Of ‘Stoking The Fires Of White Supremacy And Racism’ HuffingtonpostTaylor Swift has accused Donald Trump of “stoking the fires of white supremacy and racism” over the US president’s response to the death of George Floyd.A video of the unarmed 46-year-old Black man’s arrest on Monday showed him gasping for breath while a white police officer knelt on his neck before he died.Derek Chauvin, the police officer in question, has now been charged with murder following days of protests across the US, pitting protesters against police in a number of major cities.In a tweet which tagged the President, Taylor said: “After stoking the fires of ... more
- 1 day Kiss Guitarist Bob Kulick Has Died, Aged 70 HuffingtonpostKiss guitarist Bob Kulick has died at the age of 70, it has been announced..His younger brother, former Kiss member Bruce Kulick, confirmed the news on Friday evening.He said in a post on Twitter: “I am heartbroken to have to share the news of the passing of my brother Bob Kulick.“His love of music, and his talent as a musician and producer should always be celebrated.“Please respect the Kulick Family’s privacy during this sad time. RIP.”
I am heartbroken to have to share the news of the passing of my brother Bob Kulick. His love of music, and his talent ... more
- 1 day How The Death Of George Floyd Set Minneapolis Ablaze In 25 Hard-Hitting Pictures Huffingtonpost‘Please, please, please, I can’t breathe. Please, man.’On Monday night, George Floyd died after being arrested by police in Minneapolis. Video taken by a bystander showed the 46-year-old pleading that he could not breathe as a white officer knelt on his neck.Police said the man matched the description of a suspect in a forgery case at a grocery store, and that he resisted arrest. The unidentified officer ignores his pleas. “Please, please, please, I can’t breathe. Please, man”, the man is heard telling the officer.After several minutes, one of the officers tells the man to “relax”. Minutes pass, and the man ... more
- 1 day Killing Eve: All The Loose Ends The Series 3 Finale Need To Tie Up HuffingtonpostMake the most of your time in lockdown with a daily dose of celebrity news and guides to the best shows. Sign up to the entertainment newsletter.It’s fair to say that the reaction to the third series of Killing Eve has been more mixed compared to the fanfare the first two received. Some have complained the hit series seems as if it’s lost its way, while others have bemoaned the lack of screentime lead characters Villanelle and Eve have shared.That said, the stage is set for a big reunion between the two women in the season ... more
- 1 day 8 Foods That Could Be Putting You In A Bad Mood HuffingtonpostYou’ve polished off a batch of grandma’s beloved cookies when the feeling hits. It’s not happiness, though it should be. You’re experiencing a mix of guilt, anxiety and sluggishness, with an all-around bad mood that’s far from the comfort you were seeking. And when you’re staying at home during the coronavirus pandemic, the last thing you need is another thing to feel bad about. What gives?The idea of comfort food sounds great in theory, but many of society’s favourite feel-good foods lack ideal nutrients. This leaves eaters feeling cranky, not comforted. (And to be clear, we’re not talking about depression, ... more
- 1 day Will Coronavirus Put An End To Boozy ‘Brits Abroad’ Culture? HuffingtonpostWe’re here to guide you through the coronavirus lockdown. Sign up to the Life newsletter for daily tips, advice, how-tos and escapism.Roaring down the strip, bucket of vodka-mixer in hand, going crustacean-red on a beach littered with portable speakers blaring house music, then getting a burger and chips in a beachfront Irish pub to chat about last night’s hook-up. These are just some of the stereotypes of the ‘Brits Abroad’ holiday to Europe – as exemplified by The Inbetweeners Movie, ITV’s Club Reps and Kevin and Perry Go Large, depending on your viewing vintage. There are those who blare their music ... more
- 1 day Is It Okay To Pee In A Park During Lockdown? HuffingtonpostWe’re here to guide you through the coronavirus lockdown. Sign up to the Life newsletter for daily tips, advice, how-tos and escapism.First it was the odd person, now everyone’s doing it. In a Covid-19 landscape, bushes and trees in parks all over the country are being turned, grimly, into public toilets. Where you once saw static green now you see the awkward shapes of humans, standing, crouching, squatting – their tapestries of synthetically-coloured clothing giving the game away, contrasting with the natural shades of green. Peeing in parks has become a humorous new element of the ‘new normal’, but it also has ... more
- 1 day Even Social Distancing Hasn’t Saved Women From Sexual Harassment HuffingtonpostWhen I started walking from the North London suburbs into central London last week for my first lockdown friend-date, I had many mundane thoughts in my head. Will my phone battery last long enough to maps my route? Have I remembered how to carry a conversation? It was a hot day and I was content in my plod across the UK’s new Black Mirror set, watching people shout conversations from two metres apart. The last thing on my mind was my safety. Maybe it should have been.Related... We're Only Allowed Outside Once A Day, But Women Are ... more
- 1 day Cooking Free Meals For My Community Is Helping Others – And My Own Recovery HuffingtonpostIn my early 20s, life on the surface looked pretty good. I was on the road, catering for major events including the Olympics, Asian Games, Brit Awards and even getting to cater on tours with The Rolling Stones, Cher and Pink.I was living the life I’d always dreamed of. But I was also slowly destroying my life at the same time.Everyone I worked with was going out and partying hard. It was the done thing. It felt glamorous to a budding young chef, but the culture, combined with my love of drink and drugs, took me to hell and back ... more
- 1 day Food Bank Faces Donation Shortage As ‘500 Families’ Queue Outside For Hours Each Day Huffingtonpost
- 1 day These Parents Went To Desperate Lengths To Cope During Lockdown HuffingtonpostWe’re here to guide you through the coronavirus lockdown. Sign up to the Life newsletter for daily tips, advice, how-tos and escapism.I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve felt like banging my head against the wall through lockdown. Being in quarantine with two young children – who are both missing school, their grandparents and their friends – has been tough.I’m lucky I’m not doing it alone, and their father is fully involved, but it’s still the hardest period of parenting I’ve ever known – harder than those fractured nights of little sleep when they were newborn, harder than ... more
- 1 day Charity Shops Might Never Be The Same Post-Lockdown. Here’s Why. HuffingtonpostWe’re here to guide you through the coronavirus lockdown. Sign up to the Life newsletter for daily tips, advice, how-tos and escapism.Charity shops across the country will be able to reopen on June 15 alongside other non-essential retailers. But for dedicated bargain hunters and enthusiastic eco-warriors, donating and shopping in them is likely to feel quite different. For starters, it’ll take more planning, as your nearest store might remain closed – even after the government has given shops the green light. The British Heart Foundation says it plans to open “a small number” of shops from mid-June. Shelter has set out similar plans. ... more
- 2 days Is Rishi Rushing The End Of State Support For Furloughed Workers? HuffingtonpostYou’re reading The Waugh Zone, our daily politics briefing. Sign up now to get it by email in the evening.Summer lovin’, happened so fastGovernment exit routes out of the coronavirus pandemic are an almost impossible balancing act. Boris Johnson knows that the lockdown is squeezing the windpipe of the economy, but he can’t do anything that risks a second wave of infections and deaths. Chancellor Rishi Sunak has an equally difficult task in calibrating how long to keep state support in place and how quickly he should start rebuilding the public finances.So far, Sunak has maintained a political consensus with his huge programme of ... more
- 2 days Derek Chauvin: Police Officer Filmed Kneeling On George Floyd’s Neck Charged With Murder HuffingtonpostThe Minnesota police officer filmed kneeling on the neck of a man who later died in custody has been charged with murder.George Floyd’s death on Monday night in Minneapolis sparked violent protests across the US, pitting protesters against police in a number of major cities.Video taken by a bystander showed the 46-year-old pleading that he could not breathe as a white officer, later named as Derek Chauvin, knelt on his neck.Minnesota’s public safety commissioner announced Chauvin had been taken into custody on Friday evening and was later charged with third-degree murder.
Derek Chauvin has now officially been taken into custody, ... more
- 2 days ‘Dominic Cummings Must Be Sacked’ Petition Gets More Than 1m Signatures HuffingtonpostCoronavirus has changed everything. Make sense of it all with the Waugh Zone, our evening politics briefing. Sign up now.More than a million people have signed a petition calling for Boris Johnson’s top aide Dominic Cummings to be sacked over his lockdown trip to Durham.Police said Cummings’ trip to Barnard Castle from Durham, where he had already travelled on a 260-mile journey from London, “might” have breached lockdown rules.HuffPost UK understands that the force’s use of the word “might” in its statement relates solely to the fact that any determination of a potential breach would ... more
- 2 days 19 Year Old Starts A Pizza Company From His Car To Feed Vulnerable People Huffingtonpost
- 2 days West Midlands Police Under Investigation Over Alleged Excessive Force Against Black Men HuffingtonpostSix alleged cases of excessive force used against Black men by West Midlands Police are under investigation.Police watchdog The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has launched nine investigations into the cases, which include a fractured ankle, two uses of a Taser, and the stop and search of a 15-year-old boy. Four of the incidents involve alleged use of force by one officer who has been suspended by the force, while two investigations are scrutinising the actions of officers who were in supervisory roles when those incidents took place.The West Midlands regional director for the IOPC has spoken out to “reassure” ... more
- 2 days JK Rowling Speaks Out Over ‘Accidental’ Tweet About Transgender Woman HuffingtonpostJK Rowling has spoken out after tweeting – and swiftly deleting – a post which contained a sentence misgendering a transgender woman.The Harry Potter writer recently unveiled her new children’s story The Ickabog, and for the last few days has been sharing art created by her young fans, inspired by her new work.However, on Friday afternoon, she shared one fan’s picture with an unfortunate additional message.“I love this truly fabulous Ickabog, with its bat ears, mismatched eyes and terrifying bloodstained teeth!” she wrote.Her tweet then continued: “In court, Wolf claimed the Facebook post in which she’d said he wanted to ... more
- 2 days Exclusive: Matt Hancock Faces Second Warning Over Coronavirus Test Figures HuffingtonpostCoronavirus has changed everything. Make sense of it all with the Waugh Zone, our evening politics briefing. Sign up now.
Britain’s statistics watchdog will warn Matt Hancock that it still has concerns about government figures for daily Covid-19 tests, HuffPost UK can reveal.
Hancock is in a race against time to hit Boris Johnson’s target of 200,000 daily tests by Monday, as part of the wider goal to get a “world beating” test-and-trace system in place by June 1 to ease the country’s path out of lockdown.But with the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) not expected to publish statistics on capacity until Sunday, just hours before the deadline, critics fear the target could be achieved by new moves to “artificially” inflate the figures.Sir David Norgrove, the chair of the UK Statistics Authority, told Hancock on May 11 that he had concerns about the “trustworthiness” of the way the government was presenting and counting its ... more
- 2 days Coronavirus Self-Employed Income Support Extended For One Final Payment HuffingtonpostCoronavirus has changed everything. Make sense of it all with the Waugh Zone, our evening politics briefing. Sign up now.The government scheme to support self employed people with their income during the coronavirus pandemic is being extended to a second one-off and final payment of 70% of average monthly profits.Rishi Sunak announced on Friday he would be extending the “lifeline” so self employed people can claim a second and final grant in August.A cross-party group of 113 MPs had today urged the chancellor to extend the programme.But he stressed that it is time to begin ... more
- 2 days Watch Live: Rishi Sunak Leads Daily Coronavirus Briefing Huffingtonpost
- 2 days Robert Jenrick Faces Calls To Resign After ‘Unlawfully’ Approving Tory Donor’s £1bn Housing Project HuffingtonpostHousing secretary Robert Jenrick is facing calls to resign after he admitted “unlawfully” signing off a 1,500-home development that saved a Tory Party donor millions of pounds.The £1bn project on the former Westferry Printworks site on London’s Isle of Dogs was approved in January by Jenrick – a last-minute reprieve after the council and then the independent Planning Inspectorate both deciding it should be refused. They had said it lacked enough affordable housing and conflicted with local conservation policy.But the housing secretary’s decision came just a day before Tower Hamlets Council approved a new rate for its Community Infrastructure Levy ... more
- 2 days Belly Mujinga: Police Will Take No Action Over Death Of Railway Worker Who Was Spat At HuffingtonpostNo further action is being taken by police following the death of 47-year-old railway ticket officer Belly Mujinga. British Transport Police (BTP) said on Friday that “extensive enquiries” had been undertaken. Mujinga died of Covid-19 on April 5, two weeks after being spat on while at work by a man who claimed to have the virus. A spokesperson for BTP said: “Following a review of all the information, senior detectives have concluded that there is no evidence to substantiate any criminal offences having taken place, and that the tragic death of Belly Mujinga was not a consequence of ... more
- 2 days How To Have A Socially Distanced Barbecue With Family And Friends HuffingtonpostWe’re here to guide you through the coronavirus lockdown. Sign up to the Life newsletter for daily tips, advice, how-tos and escapism.Those planning to host a barbecue next week should consider one-way systems of travel around the grill and bringing their own condiments, an expert has said.From June 1, groups of up to six people in England will be able to enjoy socially distanced meetings in parks and gardens, Boris Johnson announced on Thursday.After announcing the new restrictions, he said: “What you certainly can imagine is there could be meetings of families in a garden, you could even have a ... more
- 2 days Monkeys Attack Medical Official, Steal Coronavirus Samples And Then Eat Them HuffingtonpostGet the latest on coronavirus. Sign up to the Daily Brief for news, explainers, how-tos, opinion and more.
A troop of monkeys in India attacked a medical official, snatched blood samples of patients who had tested positive for coronavirus, and then retreated up a tree to nibble them, authorities said on Friday.The attack occurred this week when a laboratory technician was walking in the campus of a state-run medical college in Meerut, 460km (285 miles) north of Lucknow, capital of Uttar Pradesh state.“Monkeys grabbed and fled with the blood samples of four Covid-19 patients who are undergoing treatment ... we had to take their blood samples again,” said Dr S. K. Garg, a top official at the college.Authorities said they were not clear if the monkeys had spilled the blood samples, but people living near the leafy ... more
- 2 days At Least 177 More Coronavirus Deaths Recorded Across UK In 24 Hours HuffingtonpostGet the latest on coronavirus. Sign up to the Daily Brief for news, explainers, how-tos, opinion and more.The number of people who have died in hospitals across the UK after contracting coronavirus has risen by 177 in 24 hours.The increase consists of 149 hospital patients in England, 15 people in Scotland, three in Northern Ireland, and 10 hospital patients and care home residents in Wales.So far, no UK-wide figures from the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) have been released, so the total is taken from each nation’s individual reporting.It brings the working total to 38,014.But the government tally, ... more
- 2 days CNN Reporter And Crew Arrested Live On Air During Minneapolis Protests Huffingtonpost
- 2 days As Lockdown Lifts, Police Are About To Face Their Biggest Challenge Yet HuffingtonpostThe horrific scenes from the US of George Floyd being held down by a police officer, unable to breathe, had a huge effect on Mohammed Khan. Watching those scenes, Khan was reminded of his own traumatic experience when police allegedly used excessive force during his arrest last year, causing him to pass out. His was one of the cases I supported to try and understand what happened. The police have since been unable to explain why he was detained, and this experience has had a long-lasting effect on his mental health. Prior to lockdown, he was hospitalised several times following ... more
- 2 days Is The UK Ready To Socialise? The Latest Lockdown Easing Explained HuffingtonpostWe’re here to guide you through the coronavirus lockdown. Sign up to the Life newsletter for daily tips, advice, how-tos and escapism.You might feel a twinge of excitement at the prospect of BBQs and garden parties as summer hits – particularly after yesterday’s announcement by the prime minister. Boris Johnson said as of Monday 1 June, people in England will be able to meet up with friends and family in groups of up to six people outside their homes – at beaches, in parks and private gardens – but not indoors.People can meet “provided those from ... more
- 2 days Police Arrest CNN Reporter And Crew Covering Minneapolis Protests Live On Air HuffingtonpostA CNN correspondent and two members of his crew have been arrested live on air while broadcasting from protests in Minneapolis over George Floyd’s death.Omar Jimenez, who was covering the demonstrations that have erupted in the city, was handcuffed and taken away after telling officers the crew would go wherever they wanted them to.A producer and a camera operator were also detained.The camera continued rolling and broadcasting the whole time, even as it was taken away from the crew.The crew was released around two hours later.
Minnesota police arrest CNN reporter and camera crew as ... more
- 2 days You Can Meet In The Garden, But What Happens When You Need The Loo? HuffingtonpostWe’re here to guide you through the coronavirus lockdown. Sign up to the Life newsletter for daily tips, advice, how-tos and escapism.People in England can meet with up to six people in an outdoor space from 1 June – including a private garden – as long as they maintain social distancing. Boris Johnson even said barbecues are allowed, providing people are “scrupulous” about washing their hands. But it’s got a lot of people thinking: what happens when you’ve had a drink (or three) and really, really need the loo? Although the latest guidance says meetings should take place outside, Professor Chris Whitty, the ... more
- 2 days ‘This Breaks My Heart’: Piers Morgan Sends Love To Kate Garraway After Emotional Clap For Carers HuffingtonpostPiers Morgan has sent a message of support to his Good Morning Britain colleague Kate Garraway, after seeing her emotional appearance during the last Clap For Carers. Kate’s husband Derek Draper is continuing to fight coronavirus in hospital, after being admitted in April.The presenter was pictured outside her home with her two children Darcey, 14, and son Billy, 10, taking part in the national round of applause for the pandemic’s front line workers on Thursday night.“This breaks my heart,” Piers said, tweeting a story from the Daily Mail. “Few happier, more positive people than @kategarraway. Or a more loyal, decent friend ... more
- 2 days My Family Are Risking Their Lives Working For A Country That Doesn’t Want Them HuffingtonpostDuring lockdown, it has been made clear that we depend on specific workers to keep our nation afloat. Our NHS staff, teachers, social workers, food chain workers, transport staff, postal workers, and more, are now celebrated by those on both sides of the political spectrum for their dedication and service to our country. Despite this, home secretary Priti Patel refused to soften her hard approach to post-Brexit immigration, with her Immigration Bill being voted through the House of Commons. Patel took to Twitter to claim that this Bill “will ensure people can come to our country based on what they have ... more
- 2 days Gaga, Grande & Gogglebox | Good Vibes Only: Lockdown Huffingtonpost
- 2 days Twitter Hits Trump With ‘Glorifying Violence’ Warning After Tweet About George Floyd Minneapolis Protest Huffingtonpost
- 2 days The 1975 Singer Matty Healy’s Twitter Deactivated After Backlash Over George Floyd Post HuffingtonpostThe 1975 frontman Matty Healy appears to have deleted his Twitter account, after facing criticism over a post about the death of George Floyd.On Thursday, the singer was among several stars to speak out about the tragic death of Floyd, a Black man who died earlier this week after a police officer kneeled on his neck while he was handcuffed on the ground, shouting that he couldn’t breathe.Responding to those who were using Floyd’s death to promote an “All Lives Matter” message, Matty tweeted: “If you truly believe that ‘ALL LIVES MATTER’ you need to stop facilitating the end of ... more
- 2 days The Lord Of The Rings Cast Gives Us One Reunion To Rule Them All HuffingtonpostMake the most of your time in lockdown with a daily dose of celebrity news and guides to the best shows. Sign up to the entertainment newsletter.Actor Josh Gad has been bringing together various iconic casts in his quarantine show Reunited Apart, including the former stars of The Goonies and Back To The Future – but now he’s delivering the one reunion to rule them all.He’s gathering the original Fellowship, the cast of Lord Of The Rings.A teaser for the episode, which will debut on Sunday, shows the Hobbits themselves, actors Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Billy Boyd and Dominic ... more
- 2 days Little Mix’s Leigh-Anne Pinnock Has A Lot To Celebrate After Lockdown Engagement HuffingtonpostMake the most of your time in lockdown with a daily dose of celebrity news and guides to the best shows. Sign up to the entertainment newsletter. Little Mix star Leigh-Anne Pinnock is engaged to footballer Andre Gray. The Watford FC player proposed in lockdown as the couple celebrated their fourth anniversary on Thursday. Andre shared the news on Instagram, posting a photo of them as Leigh-Anne showed off her engagement ring.
View this post on InstagramA post shared by ANDRE GRAY (@andregray_) on May 28, 2020 at 4:31pm PDTHe wrote: “Let the caption speak ... more
- 2 days Madonna Divides Opinion After Sharing Video Of Son Dancing To ‘Honour’ George Floyd HuffingtonpostMadonna has divided opinion after she shared a video of her son dancing to Michael Jackson to “honour” George Floyd, who died after he was pinned to the ground by his neck by a police officer.In the clip, David Banda is seen dancing to Jackson’s They Don’t Care About Us, which the singer posted in “tribute” to Floyd.The 46-year old’s tragic death on Monday once again raised the issue of police brutality towards Black people and has led to several nights of unrest in Minneapolis and outcry across the world.In a caption for the video, Madonna wrote: ... more
- 2 days Opinion: The Hard-Won Gains Of Mothers Will Be Lost Without Investment In Childcare HuffingtonpostDear Prime Minister,We were encouraged by your remarks at the Liaison Committee on May 27th where you acknowledged that female workers have been harder hit by the economic impact of the coronavirus crisis. In particular, with reference to additional assistance to the childcare sector, you said you would do “whatever it takes to help get women back into work” and that “childcare is absolutely critical for the success of our economy”.You are absolutely right to recognise the severe impact this crisis has already had on female employment. The Institute for Fiscal Studies has found that mothers in couple families are one and half times more likely ... more
- 2 days Donald Trump Brands People Protesting The Killing Of George Floyd ‘Thugs’ HuffingtonpostDonald Trump has lashed out at crowds in Minneapolis protesting over the death of George Floyd, an unarmed black man who died in police custody, calling demonstrators “thugs” who were dishonouring his memory. Following a third night of unrest in the city following Floyd’s death, the president threatened to send in the National Guard, accusing Minneapolis mayor Jacob Frey of a “total lack of leadership”.
I can’t stand back & watch this happen to a great American City, Minneapolis. A total lack of leadership. Either the very weak Radical Left Mayor, Jacob Frey, get his act ... more
- 2 days Trump Signs Social Media Executive Order HuffingtonpostDonald Trumpsigned an executive order Thursday that could weaken legal protections for social media companies, days after Twitter labelled two of his misleading missives with a fact-check addendum.The move, which may expose social media companies to liability for what gets posted on their platforms, dramatically escalates a confrontation between Trump and his favoured mode of communication, where the president can address his more than 80 million followers directly without relying on news conferences or the traditional media.Trump and his backers claimed Twitter was suppressing free speech by labelling his tweets, which falsely claimed mail-in ballots would be “substantially fraudulent.” The president ... more
- 2 days Netflix’s Blood & Water Is A Teen Drama For People Who Don’t Usually Like Teen Dramas HuffingtonpostMake the most of your time in lockdown with a daily dose of celebrity news and guides to the best shows. Sign up to the entertainment newsletter.Blood & Water only hit Netflix last week, but it has swiftly climbed into the streaming service’s top 10 here in the UK, and if you haven’t managed to catch it yet, you might be wondering what all the fuss is about.So, if you’re at a loose end this weekend (then again, aren’t we all?), here’s why we’d recommend it as your next binge watch...In a nutshell...After crossing paths ... more
- 2 days He Grew Up Without A Dad. Now, He’s Become The Internet’s Dad On YouTube HuffingtonpostRob Kenney’s parents divorced when he was a child, and his dad got custody of him and his siblings. But fatherhood didn’t interest him, and in October 1978, at his daughter’s ninth birthday, he told his kids he didn’t want them anymore.“It was pretty callous,” Kenney, who was 14 at the time, recalled. “I remember just feeling disbelief.”Kenney and his siblings were left to fend for themselves, more or less. Learning the ropes of adulthood was understandably difficult: He had to learn how to shave on his own, how to unclog a sink on his own, how to change a tire ... more
- 2 days Exclusive: Keir Starmer Says Women Should Have ‘Right To Know’ Male Colleagues’ Pay Huffingtonpost1 2 3 … 15 Next »Women should be given the “right to know” what a male colleague doing the same work is paid and vice versa, Keir Starmer has said.The Labour leader warned that coronavirus risks “setting us back years” in the fight for equal pay as he called for the law to be strengthened.It comes after the independent Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) found that mothers are one-and-a-half times more likely than fathers to have either lost their job or quit since the lockdown began.Separate research from poverty charity Turn2Us found women’s incomes are falling more steeply than men’s ... more2017-05-27
- 1 hour Dominic Raab Says Cities Could Be Locked Down As Scientists Warn Of ‘Great Risk’ Huffingtonpost